For my trade-up project, I started with a weird galvanized nail. I traded that for a full pack of gum, which I exchanged for a half full can of spray paint, then a 3/4 full can of a different kind of spray paint, then finally for a brand new paint marker. Here’s the tumblr I made for my items: http://iamnardo.tumblr.com/
For the semester-long ‘red paperclip’ project, I started with a small black binder clip. I traded this for a hand-written sign, which I quickly traded for two pieces of mint gum. I held onto the gum until presented with a trade for 10 ft. of multicolored duct tape. I crafted this tape into a duct tape wallet. I traded the duct tape wallet for a leather wallet and a name tag, which is where I now stand with my trades.
For this project, each student was given an object of very little monetary value. We were then supposed to trade up for things of greater value. I started with a miniature bungee cord and ended with an official Carnegie Mellon campus police whistle. You can see all of my in-between trades here: www.tumblr.com/blog/watchhannahtrade
For this trade project, I began with a single small hinge which I traded for an empty beer bottle, then for a college of Computer Science pen, then for pocket LED flashlight.
On Tuesday, March 4, 2014, a group of 6 female CMU students found the best place on campus for a quick nap: on the floor in front of the Office of the Dean. Planned as a demonstration to confront the stress culture at Carnegie Mellon University, the peaceful act quickly caught the attention of the administration in the offices at either end of the small hallway, as well as those who sought access to the nearby elevator. An equally bewildered, flustered, and attentive Dean of Student Affairs met the students at their napping space. When the students responded to her questions by stating that they were not protesting, that they ‘fell asleep’ in the space while studying, the Dean asked the students if they would accompany her to her office, one floor downstairs. The naps resulted in a meeting held after Spring Break, which the students attended as did the University’s Dean of Student Affairs and Vice Provost.
We led participants to believe that they were providing user feedback for our application, Galleromp. Galleromp is an application designed to integrate a digital experience into a physical walk through an area. Specifically, Galleromp was designed to point out and provide information on public murals in the Strip District. However, while discovering the public works in the area, our users were surprised to find us at points along the path, prompting them to contribute their own work to the public space via drawings, performances, and story telling. Galleromp was a journey meant to spark conversation between similar experiences in the digital and physical world.
Hey all, For today’s assignment trying to replicate the work of Janet Cardiff, our group(me, Maryyann, and Ralph) took a tour that starts right outside the elevator on the 6th floor of gates Here is the youtube link, Note that the video is sideways so that when you hold it on your mobile, it will be the correct orientation:
For our tactical assignment on stress culture, I wanted to create a piece on prescription pill abuse as a way to combat/manage stress. I generated illustrations and text commenting on the epidemic with slogans like ‘Trade your pillows for pills’. I screen printed the new imagery and text over 50 copies of CMU’s art & culture paper, aptly named ‘Pillbox’. These copies were re-released into circulation.
In addition to this work, I collaborated with Maryyann, Ralph, and Andrea on the project posted here. This second tactical intervention was designed to draw attention to the lack of resources and attention for students struggling with mental illness as a result of CMU’s stress culture.
During the Intervention project, I worked with two groups; I helped Jacqueline with her smile factory and I helped Christin with her ‘punch Andrew Carnegie’ project. In Jacqueline’s group, I helped her acquire whatever material she needed and helped her mass produce the smiles; we both made the stamps with each other and then took turns stamping the masks.
For Christin’s project, I spent a few hours creating two lid-size Andrew Carnegie Dummy Bodies. Afterwards, I helped Christin and Lindsey adjust any changes they wanted to make in the body and insert the speakers. Afterwards, I edited the documentation together to make one comprehensive film.
Here is our final documentation: